Whitney Houston’s ex-husband Bobby Brown is suing Showtime Networks and the BBC, alleging unauthorized footage was used in the 2017 documentary “Whitney: Can I Be Me.”
A complaint was filed with the US District Court in New York on Wednesday, by Brown and the estate of the couple’s daughter Bobbi Kristina.
It claims the footage harmed Brown, his business and Bobbi Kristina’s estate.
As of posting, Showtime, the BBC and Brown’s lawyer have not commented.
R&B singer Brown said consent to use the footage was not given, adding the material is about 15 years old. It was shot before he and singer Houston divorced in 2007, and before her death in 2012.
The complaint said: “Every person should have the right to control how their identity or likeness or personality, or voice, name or image is commercialized by others.”
The film, which premiered at Cannes Film Festival last year, was then also broadcast on Showtime and the BBC.
“It draws on interviews with Houston’s friends and people who knew her, as well as archival footage,” the complaint said.