Even the sacred time for Catholic all around the globe does not save with the terrorists’ attack, the Cauro Cathedral was bombed in a Palm Sunday that left 43 people died.
The bombing was claimed by the international terrorist group Islamic State or ISIS, who says two Egyptian nationals responsible, warns of more attacks
27 killed in Tanta blast; 16 dead in Alexandria
The blast that killed 43 at two Coptic churches in Egypt on Palm Sunday — strikes against a vulnerable minority on one of the most important days on the Christian calendar.
According to the group through a statement issued on the Telegram messaging platform and circulated by several ISIS supporters, the militant group identified the suicide bombers as Egyptian nationals.
As of press time, Egyptian authorities have not confirmed the bombers’ nationalities.
ISIS warned of more attacks in its statement. “The Crusaders and their apostate followers must be aware that the bill between us and them is very large, and they will be paying it like a river of blood from their sons, if God is willing,” the group said in Arabic.
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi said Sunday that a three-month state of emergency will be declared following the bombing, after legal and constitutional measures have been complete.
The bloody bombings came on the Sunday before Easter, the day that marks the start of Holy Week for Christians.
The first bombing ripped through a Palm Sunday service at St. George’s Church in the northern city of Tanta, killing 27 people and wounding 78 others, state TV reported. An explosive device had been planted under a seat in the main prayer hall, it said.
Not long afterward, at least 16 people were killed and 41 others wounded in a suicide bomb attack outside St. Mark’s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Alexandria, according to two state news outlets.
Police officers who had been posted outside the church stopped a man wearing an explosive belt from entering the church, the Interior Ministry said. At least two officers, a man and a woman, were killed, along with civilians and other police staff.
Meanwhile, due to the series of attacks in his country, Egyptian President declared three days of nationwide mourning following the suicide bombings.
In response to the attack, the country will form a supreme council to counter terrorism and extremism, Sisi said on state television Sunday after an emergency meeting of the country’s National Defense Council.
“We have to pay attention because of Egypt and Egypt’s future. We know this is a big sacrifice but we are capable of facing it,” he said.
“The attack will not undermine the resolve and true will of the Egyptian people to counter the forces of evil, but will only harden their determination to move forward on their trajectory to realize security, stability and comprehensive development,” the President said in a statement.