Kalayaan municipality, which includes the Pagasa (Thitu) island, is 280 nautical miles northwest of Puerto Princessa (Palawan) and 579 miles southwest of Metro Manila. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 222 people and is one of the poorest towns in The Philippines, consisting of a single barangay located on Pag-asa Island, which also serves as the seat of the municipal government.
Pag-asa Island has a dilapidated airstrip, a 5-bed lying-in clinic, and a small elementary school.
Once a strictly a military installation, Pag-asa was opened to civilian settlement in 2002
President Ferdinand E. Marcos created the Municipality of Kalayaan by signing PD 1596 into law on June 11, 1978. This established what the document described as “a distinct and separate municipality of the Province of Palawan”.
PD 1596 defined the boundaries of the municipality as follows: