A woman patient in Japan was seriously hurt when she passed gas that caught fire and caused serious injuries to her body, in mid-surgery in a university hospital in Tokyo.
It has been reported that the woman, in her 30’s, was undergoing surgery, applying a laser to her cervix, at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital in Shinjuku Ward.
A report released that the laser believed to have ignited with the gas she passed. A very large fire burned much of her body including her legs and waist, The Asahi Shimbun Japanese newspaper reports. The patient condition is currently unknown.
The committee stated in the report that there are no flammable materials in the operation room during the surgery and that equipment was functioning normally.
“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire,” the report said.
The accident happened only this year but was only published in a recent hospital report. Tokyo Medical University Hospital claims to be the only facility in Japan to carry out surgery using robots.